Wednesday 30 December 2015

Botanical Garden - nostalgia and nature

I have grown up in Shibpur. But in the process of making a career I now live in Bangalore. In a short visit to my hometown on year end, I decided to visit the Botanical Garden. 
When young, Botanical Garden was a very common thing for us. 15 minutes on the cycle and you are there!! I have spent innumerable hours in this place with my parents, friends, boy friend. Countless number of picnics, school excursions etc. I should have ideally grown bored of this place. But every time I loved it more.

This time was no exception. Moreover it was after 15 years that I came here and this time I had my son with me. The Great Banyan Tree is still an object of wonder to me. The palm avenues, the nursery, the lakes everything brought back innumerable happy memories. Seeing the woodpeckers and babblers feed onto to some unknown fruit of an unknown plant was an experience worth the time spent. We sat on a bench under a tree and watched two parrots bringing food for their babies living in the tree trunk. The excitement on my son's face was the same that I had as a child. Took a stroll on the road at the side of the river and enjoyed the early morning view of the Ganges! 
Sad though that they have made a huge railing on the river bank blocking a bit of the view. Also I remember the trees had their names on them, which was missing this time. But overall the mist, the cold, my memories had all orchestrated to an amazing experience which is Botanical Garden to me!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment